Posts

ARCH 655 Final Project - Algorithms and Scripting for Parametric Design

Image
Taichung Metropolitan Opera House
Continuing with ARCH 655 Project 1, I decided to work on the model that I created and add the patterns that can be seen in the image below.

The patterns are consist of several circles that attach to the building facade which can be realized by using Grasshopper or Python scripting.
Creating Pattern by Using Grasshopper
First, I baked the surfaces from project 1 grasshopper file and utilized as the base of the final project.

Then, I started by creating a rectangle grid in order to insert the circles for later use. 

For the patterns, I don't want them to be exactly the same. My goal is to generate circles with different sets of the radius. In order to accomplish this, "Random" node is used to set up a list of numerous values.

The circles were then created based on the grid. One thing to mention here is the use of "Jitter" node. It shuffles the list of the values which helped create more random sizes circle.

Next, numbers of the ci…

ARCH 653 Final Project - Accessing BIM Data for Creative Design and Applications

Image
Taipei 101
The purpose of this final project is to utilize Revit Dynamo to extend the functionality of the previously developed model in project 1. Two objectives were fulfilled in this project for realizing significant parametric modeling driven by physical or aesthetic parameters.
The objectives are listed below:

1. Controlling Parameters using Dynamo
2. Changing the Design of the Building Facade
    - User-Based Color Design     - Image-Driven Desgin     - Sun Orientation Driven Design
Controlling Parameters using Dynamo
In project 1, the parameters were created and could be adjusted within the Revit environment. However, this requires the users to manually enter the value of the parameters, which is a tedious and time-consuming process. With the help of Dynamo, it can be accomplished with a slider which is attached to the parameter. Here, I chose "Angle_Parameter", "Top_Parameter" and the parameters that control the grid to be my controlling parameters.
The main…

ARCH 653 Project 1 - Taipei 101

Image
Taipei 101




Architect: C.Y. Lee & partners


I have chosen Taipei 101 as my project topic since this is the most famous building in my country, Taiwan, and it was the tallest building in the world back to 2004. The height of Taipei 101 is 509.2 m, which includes the tower on the top of the main building component. The building was inspired by the structure of "bamboo" and there are eight main sections that compose the building. The intent of using number 8 is because it is a homonym for prosperity in Chinese. 
Design Intent
The design intent for this project is to create a parameter-defined model based on an existing building. The final model should be able to be changed according to different inputs, e.g. width, height, angle, by the users. Also, a building facade of the selected building needs to be created.
Mass Modeling
In order to achieve these goals, mass modeling is the first step to work on. I separated the building into three parts: bottom base, top tower, and the main c…

ARCH 655 Project 1 - Taichung Metropolitan Opera House

Image
Taichung Metropolitan Opera House



Project Intent The goal of this project is to utilize Rhino and Grasshopper to create a parametric model which is based on an existing building but also with novel ideas to expand the possibility of the building. And I have chosen the Taichung Metropolitan Opera House as my case study. 
Parametric Modeling I started the parametric modeling by creating a rectangle and added polygons at the vertices and center of the rectangle. This surface is also the foundation of the whole building. 




Next, the curves of each polygon were extracted and used to generate the curved shape of the building. Here, all the curves were moving in the z-direction at the same magnitude so the whole level can be shifted simultaneously. 


Function "Surface Split" was used to create the floor between level 1 and 2. 


At level 2, the location of the polygons moved to the midpoint of each edge. In order to find the midpoints, the endpoints of level 1 polygons were used and the …